Community Information Searches
If your library catalog includes information about community organizations, events, and services, you can search for community information just as you search for books and other materials.
Do a community keyword search
A community keyword search looks in the community profiles database for matches to your word or words (in any order). To do a community keyword search:
- Select Community Keyword on the Community menu.
- Type the text to search for in the Search my community for box. You can type a part of a word and use a wildcard character. The wildcard character asterisk (*) represents the rest of the word. For example, if you type boy*, you might find boy scouts and boys and girls clubs.
- Select a search field from the Search by list:
- Any Field - All the community profile information fields
- Organization Name
- Event Name
- Address and contact person
- Postal code
- To limit your search, select an option in the Limit by list. For example, you can limit your search to events or people.
- Click or tap the search icon . The search results list shows all the community records that matched your search. Hover the cursor over the community icon (desktop computer) or tap the icon (touchscreen device) to see more information, or select the record name to see more details.
View a map showing the location of an organization or event - When you select an organization or event in your search results, the detailed information may include a Map It option. Select Map It to see a map showing the location of the organization or event.
Do a community browse search
You can browse a community information index for items of interest. For example, you can type just the first few letters of an organization’s name and then browse the organization index. To do a community browse search:
- Select Community Browse on the Community menu.
- Select an index to browse in the Browse search for box: (Organization Name, Event Name, Services, Subject).
- Type a word or the first few letters of the word in the that begins with box.
- Click or tap the search icon . The results list displays the index headings. Select <<Previous 10 Listings or Next 10 Listings>> to browse through the index.
- Select a heading to see the organizations and events connected with the heading. To return to the headings list, select Go Back to Browse Results.